[vlc] Icons on files

PK djc at resiak.org
Tue Mar 23 13:33:04 CET 2010

 > After installing the VLC player, I noticed that every video
 > file in my library now has an orange VLC icon on it.

During installation (on Windows, may we assume?) vlc associates itself with
video file types.  That's up to you, and you can change it from within vlc
after installation.  Do you know how file associations work under Windows?
Go find out.

 > I did not specific during installation that I wanted the VLC icon
 > attached to very single file in my computer.

You're exaggerating, and that doesn't help solve your problem.  To solve a
problem, it helps to be exact and accurate about it.

 > I uninstalled the VLC player program, but the orange vlc icons remain.

Did you uninstall it or simply delete it?  If you uninstalled it using the
standard method, it should remove its file associations and restore the
ones it replaced, but if you simply delete it, junk will be left behind
in the Windows registry.  So which was it: standard uninstallation or
simple deletion?  Or something else?  Say exactly what you did and what
you then observed.

djc