[vlc] Note to VLC Media Player tech support from Dr. Glenn Edward Roy in Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

Glenn Edward Roy oliviaca at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 07:17:20 CEST 2010

To:  Tech Support (videolan.org)

From:  Dr. Glenn Edward Roy (Retroconversion Systems)

Dear friends at <videolan.org>

For a two years now I having been using your excellent "VLC Media Player" software on both the Windows and Macintosh platforms.

I have a question about embedding your "VLC Media Player" software on a CD (compact disk).

I would like to include "VLC Media Player" on a CD (compact disk) along with a video file which was created using "Google Earth Pro" and exported from that program as a "Windows Media Player" (.mwv) file.

"Windows Media Player" does not play that file correctly. It freezes and jerks throughout the entirety of the playback.

"VLC Media Player", on the other hand, plays the file perfectly with no pauses or jerkiness!

In order for a CD containing that video to play perfectly the intended viewer must download your software.

Unfortunately, some people are not keen on downloading and installing software they don't know is trustworthy.

Therefore, I would like to include your excellent "VLC media Player" on a CD with the video file and have it play in an 'auto-run' mode.

I know that such an 'auto-run' scenario is possible with an old version of the "Rocio" player... because I have another video on a CD with that "Rocio" player application and the CD auto-runs when the disk is inserted into any CD/DVD drive.  That file has a suffix ending of .dat

Numerous support files on that CD make the auto-run mode possible.

Alas, I do not understand how those support files link to the video file... so I have no idea how to accomplish such an auto-run feat.

The other video file I created with 'Google Earth Pro" also does not play well with the "Rocio" player software,

so I cannot use that "Rocio" software to play the file even if I miraculously could discern how to link the auto-run code to enable that functionality.

I feel confident you folks contributing to this wonderful "VLC Media Player" software can provide a turn-key solution to my quest of embedding "VLC Media Player" on a CD with the video file and causing the auto-run of that video file.

If you would like to obtain a copy of that disk which auto-runs the video file using "Rocio" player, I could share that with you if it might help your effort to cause "VLC Media Player" to similarly auto-run the file I exported from "Google Earth Pro".

Please let me know if such an embedding of your player software is a daunting task... or if such an embedded player functionality is a common and easily accomplished process with your excellent "VLC Media Player" software.

Thank you for your kind attention to this request for assistance.

Sincerely,

Dr. Glenn Edward Roy

Dr. Glenn Edward Roy

c/o Retroconversion Systems