[vlc] Overlay Feature Request For Mac VLC

Jeff Snyder working_class_peon at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 04:37:01 CEST 2010

Hello Everyone,

I just submitted a ticket for this feature request on the VLC trac page, but I thought I'd post it here as well in order to see what other Mac VLC users think of it.

When I watch a video in VLC, I like to concentrate on it, and on it alone. That is one reason why I like to use a little app called Isolator, which blackens the entire desktop, and makes all desktop icons disappear. It's a free app BTW.

However, even if I use Isolator, when using VLC, there is still a light-colored frame around the actual video portion. I am referring to the light gray-colored title bar with the red, yellow and green window controls on the top left side, as well as the bottom bar where the control buttons and the time slider are located.

I find these to be a distraction while viewing videos.

It would be nice if VLC -- similar to Chroma Player with its "Overlay" view option -- were able to display just the video itself with absolutely no frame around it, so that the video melts and blends into the desktop black background that Isolator displays.

Hirogen's "BlackPearl" skin helps by making some things darker, but it still isn't the full effect of what I would like to see in VLC.

So what does everyone think? Are you interested in this kind of feature?

Thanks!

Jeff Snyder

27" 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 iMac with 8 GB of RAM and a 2 TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Zippin' along, baby, zippin' along! Catch us if you can! -- Dave Clark Five 1965