[vlc] Linux audio/video device lip sync, suggestions?

Ed Groth ed at boxpopuli.com
Mon Nov 1 20:31:59 CET 2010

Hello,

We've noticed that lip sync can be very off when using vlc to stream
audio and video from Linux v4l2 and oss devices.  W're using a sound
card via input-slave, not the audio feed from the video device.  The
audio is always ahead of the video, sometimes up to 3 seconds, but
usually .3 to .5 seconds.

Does anyone use vlc for streaming or recording this way, and have you
found solutions for improving the lip sync?

What is strange is that we only notice the lip sync is off when using
the audio and video with input-slave, and not when we bridge it in
from its own channel into a mosaic.

  Ed