[vlc] Recording a stream to Apple ProRes LT

Jamie Metzger jamiemetzger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 00:39:50 CET 2010

Hi,
I'm wondering if VLC is capable of doing this? The reason I ask, is because
I am using a wifi transmitter (www.teradek.com/cube.html) to stream to my
laptop through VLC. I know VLC can do H.264 which is great for watching the
file immediately, but not for using it as a proxy file to edit with. If VLC
was able to record it as Apple Pro Res LT, we could then take those files
(with burned in timecode) and start doing our offline edit immediately.
Final Cut Pro does not support editing of H.264, as it is a finishing codec.
I'd have to transcode the H.264 to Pro Res using Mpegstreamclip or
compressor, which defeats the purpose.

Please respond back if you need me to be more clear. I am hoping that this
is possible, as there is a whole universe of applications for this. I can
explain further.

Thank you for your time,
Jamie Metzger

--