[vlc] Problem with subtitles and some mpeg files.

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 15 10:23:45 CET 2010

On 14 November 2010 17:36, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to use srt subtitle files with mpeg video files.  With
> some mpeg files the video displays ok and the subtitles are shown.
> With others, using the same srt file, the video does not play at all.
> These files play fine if I do not specify a subtitle file.
>
> The mpeg files that fail when a subtitle file is specified were
> generated by vlc from the stream from a Hauppauge PVR 150 using
> cvlc --sout "#std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=$FILENAME}"  /dev/video0
>
> When I attempt to play the file with subtitles using
> vlc -vv  --sub-file=SubRip_subtitles_capability_tester.srt "test (copy).mpg"
> the play does not start.  The log o/p is at
> http://pastebin.com/267TJD8W (is that the accepted method of posting
> logs here?).  It appears that the sub file is picked up ok but for
> some reason that causes the play to fail.  The relevant bit of the log
> may (or may not) be:
>
> [0x85933fc] main input debug:
> `file:///home/colinl/Videos/test%20%28copy%29.mpg' successfully opened
> [0x85933fc] main input debug: slave 0 EOF
> Warning: call to rand()
> [0x86e6e94] qt4 interface debug: IM: Setting an input
> Warning: call to rand()
> Warning: call to rand()
> Warning: call to rand()
> [0x890ed4c] ts demux debug: eof ?
> [0x85933fc] main input debug: EOF reached
> [0x86e3dfc] main playlist debug: finished input
> [0x896350c] main decoder warning: no vout found, dropping subpicture
>
> The mpeg files were produced using vlc 1.1.4 on Ubuntu 10.10 and the
> failing playback is using 1.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04.  I can upgrade the
> video capture machine if the version there (1.1.4) could be an issue.
> The playback also fails on vlc version 1.1.4

Some further information on this.

Firstly clarifying that the problem is not related to the contents of
the srt file as far as I can tell.  It fails even with the simplest
srt file.

Secondly I have pasted the log from a working run, without the
subtitles,  in case that is useful - http://pastebin.com/KbCvn29V

Hopefully someone can help me.

Colin