[vlc] BUGS? VLC 1.1.8 Win7 32 bit Attachments(5) .jpg

Leslie Nellis ldm33 at rogers.com
Fri Apr 22 15:47:44 CEST 2011

Hello from Canada!

Using your nice program but sometimes things are really frustrating, maybe
my lack of patience...

ATTACHMENTS to show bugs.   VLC-BUG1 . . . 5.JPG    5 graphic files.

1.  I was on youtube  and would copy and paste the OPERA11.01 URL into the
VLC "Open Network Stream"... and I could successfully RECORD button bottom
left screen and record the youtube video with v1.1.7,  then I did
something with settings and now I cannot use VLC to capture youtube video
anymore    :(    I also changed some WIN7/32bit settings... but its like a
huge place ... I can change settings in many different places, so any one
of them could be reason for VLC problem with youtube streaming...

2.  I find it frustrating switching between the VLC PLAYLIST screen and
the normal VLC startup screen.  Could you kindly and lovingly put a
button  on the bottom left screen where other buttons are now??  Is there
some reason why you cannot put any more buttons in that area???  Plenty of
space available!

3.  Unable to set my desired audio visualization to upon VLC start-up
permanently;  always have to set it each and every freakin time!!!
Frustrating, or as I said, maybe my impatience, or possibly the program
goes against my intuitive software handling.  Cannot set under TOOLS -->
PREFERENCES ... not all visualizations are listed...???

4.  Playlists:
      If you could make more use of TOOLTIP BALOONS    so users can learn
program usage faster (it already quite good, am suggesting it could be
even better -- you know the corners of the program, users do not -- want
to make program work the way they want to do things)  How to easily GET TO
THE PLAYLIST screen, ADD/edit etc.  and then jump back to normal VLC
"Cone" screen??   IE:  NOWHERE on the top menu bar and drop down menu does
it say anywhere EDIT/GOTO PLAYLIST ....  it just assumed that user OPEN
file will do that?  That what I mean: frustrating and needlessly so!
I know you have a button bottom left corner... but people who are
unfamiliar with VLC controls ... they can only use what software
experience they have :  mostly their  INTUITION,    if I cannot use my
intuition to find what I need fast, what good is the user interface??   A
great UI is one that lets a total newbie make productive use of any
software's features in a short time.  Thus, good software lets me use over
65% of program features in under 120 minutes.  In this time, a user
understands how to use the program to do the things he/she wants to do and
knows WHERE TO FIND THE CONTROLS TO ACCOMPLISH JUST THAT.

5.  Give these ideas some consideration, and you will agree, VLC will be a
better product.

6.  Ohh, also some .MPG movies for some reason cause VLC to non-fatally
stall: screen freeze up.

7.  Kindly look at this program from perspective of user, and you'll see
many good ideas for improvement of already nice and useful software.

Love,

Leslie