[vlc] Dvd stuttering.

Gregory Norris gregrnorris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 22:55:45 CET 2011

On 12/13/11 12:36, Anders Holmberg wrote:
> Hi!
> When i use vlc to play dvd's there are a lot of stuttering so it is
> very hard to listen to it.
> I don't have this problem with gom player or others so i am wondering
> if there are any settings i can change to make the dvds play as nice
> as in gom player.
> Thanks.
> /A

Off the top of my head there's no DVD specific options for that kind of
thing.  There are various video options which depending on your hardware
may speed things up.  It's important to realize that DVDs codecs for
PC's aren't always as good as those for regular DVD players.  In other
words one player may render things differently than another
(particularly the menu's).  Standalone DVD players aren't immune to this
either but from what I've seen of a few different media players and home
DVD players it seems that PC DVD rendering doesn't work on the same
standard.

In my experience VLC has never skipped or stuttered on a DVD unless the
disc was damaged or I had too many things running at the same time
(Optical drives aren't as fast as Hard drives are and seem to put more
of a strain on the processor).

Now looking at the standard Video Options I'm going to give some general
suggestions:
Full screen:  50/50 as to whether you should enable or not.  If your
computer has really good full screen support then this will run faster
if not it could be broken (2 of 3 computers in my house work (or worked)
well with full screen).

Skip frames:  If your hardware is slow you could try enabling this but
it will cause a type of stuttering.

Accelerated video output (Overlay):  I have this enabled as it's
supported by most systems and does help with speed.

Use Hardware YUV->RGB conversions:  I also enable this as it passes some
of the stress to the hardware.  Note that this relies on hardware, if
you don't have the hardware or if your computers hardware (not overall
but this in particular) is sub-par than it may look bad enabling this.

Windows decorations:  I use them BUT if you're looking for speed then
try disabling them.

Enable wallpaper mode:  DON'T.  This feature is in my opinion a waste,
it makes the movie play in the desktop background in place of
wallpaper.  Sometimes you'll have both this and the regular video window
playing and it takes a lot of power.

De-interlacing:  Most of my machines don't seem to like De-interlacing
and it does take power but on some computers it will help (Most graphics
cards do this on there own which can cause the picture to degrade if you
have both the graphics card and VLC trying to de-interlace simultaneously.

Under Inputs and Codecs there's a few more options including an
experimental GPU acceleration (if it works then it should take a load of
the CPU) and a feature to use system codecs (I'm about to try this
myself as some of my MKV's work better in WMP but I much prefer VLC's
interface).

Back to Interface for a sec:  under look and feel is an option to Embed
video in interface.  I like this feature most of the time as it keeps
everything together but separating it may (or may not) improve
performance.  Separation is a must (preference) if using multiple
monitors as you can play a video on an extended desktop while keeping
the controls in reach on the main window (For instance I've done some
presentations using this and while controlling VLC I was also taking
notes (though the pesky 'm' key problem slowed me down [whenever vlc was
active m would mute the volume on a global level even if I disabled the
hotkey, I'm not sure if it was ever resolved or not as the machine I did
that on has recently died]).