[vlc] codecs for VLC

Gregory Norris gregrnorris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 04:49:01 CET 2011

On 12/17/11 17:09, Henry Navin wrote:
> Hello*:*
> My understanding is that VLC will play a substantial number of, if not
> almost all, codecs.  In other words, taking almost any DVD at random,
> I have been told that VLC is most likely to be the program capable of
> playing such a DVD without adding any new codecs.
> Is what I have been told accurate?
> Thank you.
> *HENRY NAVIN*

VLC has it's own codecs and I recently discovered an option for
switching to system codecs as well (at least in windows).  In my
experience VLC can play any DVD but some will visual problems in the
menu.  Menu's don't have standard coding but from my understanding a DVD
will always use VOB for the actual video's making VLC work 99.99% of the
time.  Since vlc uses built in codecs it can play DVD's without the need
to add new codecs however if you wish to play VLC on say Windows Media
Player (presuming you use Windows) then I'd suggest downloaded Matroska
splitter and ffdshow (just use the defaults and click through the
installations, the options will confuse the heck out of most people
including me who's actually quite adept at this stuff [granted I don't
do a lot of vid editing]).