[vlc] change codec

Gregory Norris gregrnorris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 04:52:41 CET 2011

On 12/16/11 07:39, PK wrote:
> > What about a option in VLC to make a option to select 1 of
> > your own codecs??
>
> You're asking for vlc to use codecs managed by the system, not by vlc
> itself.  For Windows? Mac? Linux? Other?
>
> Different platforms have their own unique ways of handling their own
> codecs, but vlc is cross-platform software and has its own library of
> codecs.  It would be a large change in vlc to make it use
> platform-managed codecs, and that would guarantee that it would
> sometimes fail in unusual ways beyond its control.  This annoys and
> frustrates users -- and there would be many of them.  It would also
> make the code more complex and harder to maintain, which runs against
> the ground rules for multiplatform open-source software.
>
> At least by using its own library of pluggable codecs, vlc problems,
> troubleshooting, and debugging are made manageable.  With
> system-managed codecs, when they don't work you're simply out of luck.
>
> So it's not obviously a good idea.  Here's a good idea instead: write
> the necessary codecs for vlc.  You can surely begin with any good open
> source for them.
>
> djc

Actually I recently found an option in VLC on windows for using System
Codecs.  Think it was under interface options.  You are correct in
saying that it's generally much safer to use the built in codecs as
those are also multi-platform and more stable but I also know that since
enabling this option I've been able to watch some MKV's that didn't work
properly before in VLC (I use Windows and have Matroska's Splitter).