[vlc] Streaming advice for the rest of us

Tod listacctc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:52:32 CET 2011

VLC is amazing, but I'm stuck and could use a little help.

I have a collection of both video and audio files (mp3 and avi for this
particular project).  I'd like to present the user with a web page
containing hyperlinks to each of these files.

When they click on a link a connection is established and that item's
contents are streamed to the client's multimedia player via VLC.  There
is an expectation that mobile devices (iPhone, etc) will be consumers as
well.

There is a concern from the networking side of the house about the
amount of bandwidth usage each individual client request will add to
limited network resources - optimization is a requirement.

There will be multiple resources being streamed at once with the future
requirement to add more so ease of making new files available for
consumption needs to be a consideration.

I've read the documentation and have tried what I thought might be the
best approach but things aren't working (I'll be happy to bore you with
details upon request).  I have to believe this is a very common use of
VLC but I seem to be missing the point somewhere.  If anybody could help
me out I would certainly appreciate it.

Also, I would be happy to partner with any of the VLC brainiacs to come
up with demonstrable use cases that I can document to maybe be put on a
FAQ somewhere to help others (like me) out in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tod