[vlc] vlc bug report

bill kelley bill.kelley at me.com
Sun Jan 9 00:15:27 CET 2011

Hi,

I looked through the bug list and found many sort related bugs, many of
which said they were fixed.

In the Windows file dialog to add files to convert, there is still a
sort bug.
vlc 1.1.5

Previously, it did not seem to sort at all. Now it seems to sort by most
columns, so something was fixed.
However, if I sort by the "length" column, it does not sort, then stays
unresponsive
to sorts to name, date, type etc.

If I close the file dialog window, then click add again and reopen, it
will again sort
by name, date, etc. until length is clicked.

=======

On a related note, it would seem simple enough for the video file that
is currently being viewed
be a choice in the convert dialog. It would make sense for that to be
the default.
As is, one has to go through a fairly lengthy dialog to get back to the
file already
being viewed.

=======

Regarding the remarkable feature to repair indexes, it would be really
helpful
to have an option to go ahead and save the updated video file. It
appears convert/save
does have the side effect of fixing the index, but is an awkward way to
do that.

I almost always am using convert/save to "fix" a corrupted file, as it
seems to
just copy an uncorrupted segment. It might be worthwhile to have an
option in convert to keep everything the way it was and just copy readable
video, so there is no additional loss. Its not clear if that is possible.
That is, even when I set everything to preserve video and audio, the new
video behaves
differently from the old video, when scrubbing for example. So It does not
appear to actually preserve incoming video format's.

Obviously these are feature requests, except the first one.

I appreciate the product and work you have done.

--

*peace,
bill kelley