[vlc] privileged/vlc-wrapper/set-UID/trusted start failure messages

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 25 15:49:29 CEST 2011

On 2011/06/25 14:13 (GMT+0200) Christophe Mutricy composed:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 01:37 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>>  On the computer hooked to my TV, there is only root, and will only
>>  be root for the foreseeable future, maybe forever. Root verifies
>>  everything works before wasting time configuring users. How do I
>>  make VLC play DVD isos in the meantime, so that I know VLC actually
>>  can do what it is claimed to do?

> ./configure --help |grep root and recompile

Since multimedia packages and their deps get rebuilt almost daily, you're
saying people running a single purpose Linux are supposed to compile VLC
nearly every day they do updates and want to run it? Windows users don't have
to do that!

Your answer is all over the internet, and of no use to me. I don't clutter my
systems with devel packages, only running precompiled software on them, and
on the systems I build, and those I repair, and those I install software on.
No one should have to recompile a program to run on Linux that can can be run
in Windows without recompiling, particularly since on Linux root is god and
can do absolutely anything (other than run VLC!). IOW, if root cannot run an
application, something is very wrong.

The error messages produced by trying to run as root are not self
explanatory, and thus I asked here how to run as they imply can be done so
that I can test to make sure an application is properly installed by running
it first as root; or if an ordinary user cannot run it, test run it as root
in order to ensure that the ordinary user is not impeded by his own user
settings.

Only after I know the hardware is capable of doing its job running all
significant installed software do I spend my time configuring user accounts,
if then. A system dedicated to nothing but outputting video to a TV shouldn't
need but one user. If VLC cannot let me do my job, I can't use VLC, or
install it, or recommend it, for any OS.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/