[vlc] privileged/vlc-wrapper/set-UID/trusted start failure messages

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 25 16:29:41 CEST 2011

On 2011/06/25 16:05 (GMT+0200) Christophe Mutricy composed:

> what is not explicit in "VLC is not supposed to be run as root".

So? Supposed to and normal are not equivalent. Root should be able to ensure
all software works. The VLC devs seem to think root should not be able to
ensure its software actually works, unless running windows, which has no such
restriction, though far more dangerous to use.

> I won't insult such an experience admin as you by telling how and where
> you can find the help on vlc-wrapper

vlc-wrapper produces the same error messages.

>>  video to a TV shouldn't need but one user. If VLC cannot let me do
>>  my job, I can't use VLC, or install it, or recommend it, for any OS.

> Ouch we'll loose 0.00001% of our user base.

And you know how many systems I create and/or install on and/or repair how?
Don't forget, bad word of mouth is many times more destructive than good word
of mouth is constructive, and hard to fix.

> It's free software. Use it if you like it. If you don't fix it or go
> away.

I'm not a dev. I don't fix software. I only report defects, like this
disempowerment of root to ensure a system actually works.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/