[vlc] Update

Gregory Norris gregrnorris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 23:20:10 CEST 2011

On 06/25/2011 14:40, gonzague wrote:
> You need to install only one sofware : vlc from videolan :
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
>

> On 22/06/2011 23:26, Anthony Ashley wrote:
>> I was offered an update for VLC. When I tried, questions, questions,
>> questions. Do I want to download it? Do I want to install it? Do I
>> want to remove the previous version? Which parts? How the hell would
>> I know? I don't get this when I install updates for Windows or
>> Internet Explorer. It just does it. Why can't you ever do anything
>> the simple way instead of always trying to be so clever? I will keep
>> the old version instead of risking who knows what damage.

Since the other response is somewhat vague.  VLC is worked on by people
in their spare time.  How they decide to do things is up to them it's
there privilege as the guys spending countless hours of their free time
to make something we don't have to pay for.  That being said they could
perhaps make things simpler with descriptions for those who aren't as
privy to tech terms.

For your reference:
Do I want to download it?:  Means simply do you want to download the
installer if you answer no then the installer isn't downloaded and thus
isn't installed.

Do I want to install it?:  Perhaps after downloading you realize you
have to go and don't want to install it yet or your installing something
else and want to wait.  Clicking yes launches the file you downloaded
and starts the installer (I think this is fairly obvious to be honest).

Do I want to remove the previous version?:  Some people install multiple
copies of VLC especially since VLC is free and at times something will
be broken with an update.  The simple answer in your case is yes.
Which Parts?:  If in doubt install everything.  If you use Firefox and
are on Windows (which you evidently are) then you will want a full install.

Windows always makes things easy but, it also screws up a lot more
frequently.  Often times when I install a Windows app I have to
re-customize stuff afterwards because it'll change one of my favorite
settings.  Though VLC is great for the average person as it's light
weight, includes it's own codecs, and has a great UI for actually
watching/listening to stuff it is still a tool designed for more
advanced users and will likely always appeal primarily to those users.
Updating is unlikely to screw anything up but I can make it even easier
for you by telling you exactly what settings to use:
Do I want to download it:  yes
Do I want to install it:  yes
Do I want to remove the previous version:  yes
Which Parts:  Full Install (checks all boxes except delete user preferences)
If it ask if you wish to delete or reset your user preferences say no
unless it tells you it's for the best (rarely happens).