[vlc] High WindowServer CPU use while playing

David Gilman davidgilman1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 00:20:55 CEST 2011

While playing video in VLC on Mac fullscreen or windowed this
machine's WindowServer process eats over 100% cpu.  VLC's playback
noticeably drops frames and its CPU usage stays around 30%.  Does
anyone have any ideas about what is causing this or any workarounds?

My setup is a little weird.  This is a MacMini with a NVidia GeForce
9400 and 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo.  I'm on the latest versions of 10.6 and
VLC (and tested the nightly).  Although many video files of different
sizes and formats causes this problem the one I'm currently looking at
has a H264 video stream at 1280x720.

--
David Gilman