[vlc] Video Streaming - licence

Rama Krishna perugupalli krishnamba at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 05:59:00 CET 2011

Dear Sir,

I am Krishna from India and i am working for a top IT consulting firm. I have a personal project in hand for on demand streaming of video. At a time 5000 cameras capture video images which needs to be transmitted to central server. The central server will have the ability to watch any of these 5000 cams one or two at a time to overcome bandwidth issues. The central server uses MS Server and local webcams are linked to Laptos running on Linux.
1. can i use VLC to acheive this ?
2. do i have to pay for VLC to stream to a server ?
3. is it safe to stream over internet ? i do not want anyone to watch this stream except those at the server location.

For now this is a pilot and once it is approved i will be able to pay for this.

Please respond immediately.
Best Regards
Krishna