[vlc] Question from newbie: which codec to transcode to ?

Bernard bdebreil at teaser.fr
Sat Mar 5 00:12:17 CET 2011

Hi to Everyone,

I have installed VLC only a short time ago, on my "Debian Lenny"
Desktop, as well as on my laptop running "Ubunto Hardy Heron". Not only
do I know next to nothing about most matters concerning this program,
yet I hardly have any knowledge about digital video.

My purpose with VLC is to convert the video stream from a DVD, to a
video file that can be read with a basic video player that works with my
TV set (which, apart from TV records, only operates from External HD,
not from DVD). I thought that any '.avi' file would work fine, since I
already got an .avi movie file from someone, and that file plays
allright. But the avi files that I get from a given DVD video stream
using VLC, don't work !  No doubt that I have not chosen the appropriate
codecs for transcoding, so I suppose... unless the problem lies anywhere
else...

The resulting avi files DO play allright on my computer whenever opened
with VLC, but they refuse to play with the above mentioned video player:
according to the tested parameters, it says "Unreckognised format", or
it says nothing and no play, or it starts playing weird figures. In the
other hand, if I merely copy one of the videofiles from the DVD onto the
external HD and try to play it with said video player, it does display
fine, but with no sound !

Below is what I tested so as to obtain the avi files that refuse to play
anywhere else than on my computers:

$ vlc VTS_01_1.VOB --sout
"#transcode{vcodec=mpv4,acodec=mpga}:standard{mux=avi,access=file,dct=/home/bd/myfile_mpv4_mpga.avi}"

I get no error, but, as said, the resulting avi file only plays on my
computer. I tested alternate parameters : mp2v for "vcodec" and "a52"
for acodec, with no more success.

I also tried not transcoding at all :

$ vlc VTS_01_1.VOB --sout
"#standard{mux=avi,access=file,dct=/home/bd/myfile_mpv4_mpga.avi}".

I found that I HAD TO give a mux parameter, otherwise I got an error
message.

 "raw" transcoding gave huge files as expected, to no avail in terms of
displaying on said videoplayer, which says "unreckognized file"

Maybe I should transcode such parameters as bitrate etc... but I have no
idea about the values I should test

Thanks in advance for your help