[vlc] VLC Locks Upon Opening of Some TS Files Created by Hauppauge Digital Video Recorder

Jim &/ Gayle komas at koperformance.com
Fri May 27 02:04:15 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have a Hauppauge Digital Recorder, model HVR-2250, support by the
Hauppauge WinTV v7 software.
It captures off-air ATSC Digital broadcasts to disk as "TS" files.

After recording a broadcast to disk, the WinTV software is able to play-back
the TS file just fine
*except with occasional quality quirks from signal reception issues.

I can also play back the TS files using VLC (latest version) -- most of the
time.

But, for about 1/3 of the files,VLC starts but fails to display anything.
It just sits there with the
run arrow ready to be clicked, but when clicked does nothing.

I am left with having to close VLC.  Then after it closes using Task Manager
for force vlc.exe to shutdown.

Yet, if I select a different file (one that I know is "OK") VLC works fine.

Can anyone advise, or help.

One additional point of information.  At one point I experiement with a
trial version of TSDoctor
(which is touted to repair the occasional quality quirks mentioned above).

I used it for the full 30 day trial period, after which it would no longer
allow use.  I then de-installed
it.  It was then, soon after the end of it's trial period, that VLC began
behaving poorly.

So, I then de-installed VLC and the Hauppauge software (including it's
hardware driver(s)), and
re-installed Hauppauge and VLC, in that order.

The problem still persists.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim Komasinski