[vlc] High CPU usage when processing DRM-protected TS content

Gregory Norris gregrnorris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 05:49:35 CET 2011

On 11/29/11 13:47, Krenar Qehaja wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I noticed that when I'm trying to process a DRM-protected content with
> VLC, it uses a lot more CPU than it normally does.
>
> I searched for insights in this topic but didn't encounter anything.
> Is it a bug or is it the way it is, DRM-protected content uses a lot
> more CPU?
>
> Regards,
> Krenar

It's most likely because DRM is an encryption layer.  In case you don't
know when a media player plays a video it has to decode the
encapsulation, the video, and the audio.  Adding DRM means adding yet
another thing to process, a very heavy thing at that.  Also note that
these processes are all active (to my understanding most media players
decrypt/decode actively and put everything into a buffer.  The video
actually starts to play before it's completely decoded.  One more thing
now that I think about it is that DRM probably hides certain data from
the media player that's readily available under normal circumstances.