[vlc] How does VLC determine stream time for MPEG4 streams?

John Sokol john.sokol at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 20:56:11 CEST 2011

Cool company. I posted a link to it on my blog.
http://videotechnology.blogspot.com/2011/10/web-based-carrier-grade-video.html

After a seek you need to start on a GOP boundary and make sure you have an
Iframe. Also the PTS for a/v should be too far out of place from each other.

It would take some careful examination of packets which it looks like your
starting to do.

What are you using to examine packets. I just made a small tool to help me
with with just this issue on MPEG2, so unfortunately It's not going to help
you just yet, but want to add mpeg4 too.

1) pts cycles through the values 2-29 (in increments of 3) and repeats.
> 2) decoded_picture_number is incremented by 1 each packet
> 3) display_picture_number is a constant 0

These fields sound bogus, and not correctly populated.

Some mpeg decoders will not care and others will be very particular that
these fields have legitimate values.

What are you using for playback of streams?

John L. Sokol
videotechnology.com