[vlc] VLC installation problem

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Fri Oct 28 21:06:06 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 17:30 +0200, jarek wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> 	I've build and installed vlc. It works, and plays RTP streams.
>
> Next I copied all /usr/local/* files to other machine - and on this
> second machine it is not playing RTP streams.
>
> I suspect, that there is some library missing or mismatch, but I can't
> identify it.

Indeed. but vlc depends on roughly 5O libraries (which in turn depends
on some other libraries)

The windows way is to bundle all the libraries and just live with the
overhead of having several copies of the same libraries on the system.

The linux way is to have only one copy and be smart on how software and
libraries are installed. That's the main job of the distributions and
their package management system like .deb and dpkg/apt-get/synaptic or
rpm , yast, portage, yum, ....

You don't explain why you have to compile vlc and not use the one of
your distribution.
To move to another computer either compile with static linking or lists
the libs on each computer and install missing one or generate a package
from your build and the package manager will install the missing libs

hth,

--
Xtophe