[vlc] X11 question

Julian DeMarchi julian at jdcomputers.com.au
Mon Oct 31 02:51:41 CET 2011

heya--

I am starting VLC up via the -d --x11 0.1 command in a small perl web
application. When I run this locally on the machine VideoLan starts on
the correct X screen. However, when I try and start it through a remote
client using the webiste, VideoLan does not start its video output on
the local machine, in fact it plays the queues video files with no
output. I know this is becuase I am not doing the actions on the current
xsession. I want to work away around this.

This might sound a bit confusing sorry, I'll explain a bit more. I have
a server from which I want to run VLC and have it display its video
output window on xscreen 0.1. It is important it is started on that
screen, as I have the hdmi out being placed into a rf modulator then
getting broadcast to around 200 television sets.

I want to be able to start VLC on the server using the perl website I
created.

If this sounds confusing, I'm sorry. My question is very hard to word...

--julian