[vlc] Bad audio performance with jack

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 21:20:27 CET 2012

> If I play a video with the jack audio output, the sound is fairly garbled
and choppy.  The same files sound fine with 'mplayer -ao jack file.mkv' and
also with vlc if I don't use jack.  Is there something I can do to fix this?

> - Grant
>
> There must be something wrong with the package of your distro.
>
> Try downloading an RPM from their site.

No one else has this problem?

I'm using Gentoo so I'm compiling the package from source.  Here are the
compile options I have set.  Please let me know if there is anything unset
(with a minus sign in front) that should be set:

X a52 aac alsa avcodec avformat cdda dbus dts dvbpsi dvd encode ffmpeg flac
gcrypt jack libnotify mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses ogg opengl png postproc qt4 sdl
sse svg swscale truetype udev vaapi vorbis x264 xcb xml xv -aalib
(-altivec) -atmo (-audioqueue) -avahi -bidi -bluray -cddb -dc1394 -debug
-dirac (-direct2d) -directfb (-directx) (-dshow) -dvb (-dxva2) -egl -fbosd
-fluidsynth -fontconfig -gme -gnome -gnutls -growl -httpd -ieee1394
(-ios-vout) -kate -kde -libass -libcaca -libproxy -libsamplerate -libtar
-libtiger -linsys -lirc -live -lua (-macosx) (-macosx-audio)
(-macosx-dialog-provider) (-macosx-eyetv) (-macosx-qtkit)
(-macosx-quartztext) (-macosx-vout) -matroska (-media-library) -modplug
-mtp -musepack (-neon) -omxil -optimisememory -oss -portaudio -projectm
-pulseaudio -pvr -rtsp -run-as-root -samba -schroedinger -sdl-image -shine
-shout -sid -skins -speex -sqlite -switcher -taglib -theora -twolame -upnp
-v4l -vcdx -vlm (-waveout) (-win32codecs) (-wingdi) -wma-fixed -xosd -zvbi

- Grant