[vlc] Forcing vlc to save video to disk while recording

Devil Landlord landlord1747 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 19:55:17 CET 2012

Hi,

I want to record some things from my tuner.
When I try to record something vlc first saves everything to ram and then,
only after everything is processed, saves it to disk.

Unfortunately, this means that for ~90min standard tv input, using
inefficient compression (my CPU is a slow Socket A Sempron 3000+), vlc
would consume ~8GB, which is something that I can not afford (I have 1.5GB
of ram on 32-bit OS, so even adding more swap will not help).

Currently I'm saving with "
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=12000,scale=1,acodec=a52,ab=128,channels=1,samplerate=44100}:file{mux=ts,dst=/media/recordings/rec001.mpg}
"

I would like to be able to force vlc not to consume more than say 1GB of
ram before writing to disk.

Any suggestions are welcomed - my final goal is to be able to digitally
backup 90-95 min of continuous tv input on disk. I have a lot of hard disk
space and transcoding it afterwards on a more powerful machine would not be
a problem.

Thank you,
  Matthew