[vlc] [RFC] closing the vlc user mailing list.

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Mon Feb 6 20:09:19 CET 2012

Hello Stuart McGraw,

> Mailing lists have a number of advantages over web-based forums:
> * Easy to save posts for future reference.  This is a PITA on forums.
> * Interface choice in my control (I can choose from any number
>   of mail readers) vs whatever interface the the web forum server
>   provides.  I can also read maillist posts via the web (e.g. google
>   or my choice of usenet newsreader (gmane, etc)
> * There are a large number of tools for working with mail messages.
> * Mail readers offer features unavailable in forums like filters
>   and kill-lists, keeping track of what's been read previously,
>   etc.  (I realize the volume on the vlc list is low enough that
>   some of these are not often needed but still...)
> * Mail lists are often archived in multiple places (gmane, google,
>   nabble, etc) so the accumulated knowledge-base and history are
>   not subject to the longevity or availability of a single web site.
> * Mail interfaces make better use of screen real-estate.  Most web
>   forums waste large amount of space on avatars, jpeg sigs, ads, etc.
> * Mail is pushed to me with no effort on my part.  It is easy to
>   delete (or in my case ignore, since I read via gmame).  With a
>   web forum, I have to take a positive action to visit the web site
>   (and since I'm both busy and lazy, am less likely to do.)
> * Better responsiveness.  Web forums, for those of us who still
>   have not-so-fast internet connections, feel slow and bogy.
>
> I realize some of the items above are subjective and a matter of
> taste.  But I think there are a number of readers like myself that
> still find mail easier and more efficient to work with.

The whole thing above could be written by my self too!
There is not a singel item I disagree...

> IMO a good solution is a two way gateway between the maillist
> and the forum: posts to the forum appear as mail lists posts,
> and visa versa.  The big disadvantage is obviously the work needed
> to setup and maintain such as gateway.

:-/

Currently I do such thing for my own mailinglists runing "courier-mlm".

> Another possibility would by a one-way gateway: forum -> maillist.
> To post (which most people do infrequently) one would have to
> register and post at the forum, but it would still provide the
> advantages above for readers which is what most people do most of
> the time.

1+

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

               Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
                <http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems at tdnet                     Jabber  linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3                   Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl                          Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947
Germany                             Tel mobil:  +33-6-61925193  (France)

USt-ID:  DE 278 049 239