[vlc] H.264 seek artifacts (pause mode) in long video but not short one

dg1727 at hushmail.com dg1727 at hushmail.com
Sun Jan 8 22:02:04 CET 2012

Hello,

I am using VLC 1.1.12 "The Luggage" on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty on x86
(32-bit).

I have a file which is H.264 video and AAC audio in an MKV
container.  When I pause VLC, then drag (seek) the track slider
back and forth, there are blocky artifacts in the video, and
sometimes the video goes to inverse-video (areas that are supposed
to be almost black turn light-gray, etc.).  These artifacts do not
happen when I drag the track slider in play mode instead of in
pause mode.

The video was made by using Avidemux 2.5.6 to concatenate some FLV
files.  I set Avidemux to "copy" mode (rather than transcoding) for
both the video and audio streams, and I used Avidemux's "Video >
Frame Rate" menu option to adjust the frame rate.

The seek artifacts in VLC don't happen with the input FLV files,
neither in pause mode nor in play mode.

Does this sound like any known issue in VLC?

I will be glad to upload one of the input FLV's, as well as the
output MKV, to the VLC FTP samples server, but I would like someone
to confirm first that this is the recommended way to troubleshoot
(maybe there is some other obvious solution).

Also please ask me for any other info that may help in
troubleshooting the seek artifacts.

Thanks in advance for help.