[vlc] VLC Media Player Version 1.1.11 playback of 720p Hi-Def .MOV files audio takes a few seconds to start

Chris & Jerri Roos croos1 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jan 25 16:39:37 CET 2012

Hello:

I have VLC Media Player Version 1.1.11 and is plays .MOV files and other video way better than any other software I have seen.  I have a problem with MOV format files that I capture with my Canon SX20 IS digital camera.  The video launches right away but there is no sound for the first few seconds.  Once the sound kicks in it is in-sync with the video and there is no choppiness/stuttering like I see in QuickTime and Windows Media Player.

I have followed the recommendations I see at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=9049652&postcount=20 for tweaking the player for smooth video playback (see below).  Are there some tweaks I need to perform to get the audio optimized for playing back my HD .MOV movie files?

* Open Tools, goto Preferences
* Click Show settings = “All”
* Goto “Input/Codecs
* Goto “Video codecs/ FFmpeg” subcategory
* Set “Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding” to “ALL”
* Restart the program

Thank you,
Chris