[vlc] streaming video from 70 virtual machines

Nick Mancini nick at thetechconsultants.com
Thu Jan 26 03:12:30 CET 2012

Greetings.

We have a client that has engaged us to design a video wall.

The project will consist of 70 individual displays (of varying sizes), each of which will be playing a series of 30-120 minute video files (no audio).

The 70 screens will not be joined. The objective is for each screen to be playing a separate video, which has nothing to do with any of the other screens.

Our initial design was simple: obtain 70 small form factor machines and connect them to 70 displays utilizing 70 video-over-UTP TX/RX units.

Due to budget cuts, the client has asked us to reduce the number of machines. We agreed to use dual video cards in each machine, reducing the number of machines from 70 to 35.

We are also big supporters of virtualization - ESXi to be specific.

Is there a way to build, for example, 70 virtual machines and somehow get the video stream from the VM to the displays?

Any input is appreciated. Our customer is a non-profit learning institution.

Thanks!

Nick
The Tech Consultants, LLC<http://www.thetechconsultants.com/>
Nick Mancini
818-206-2149 Ext 101 (SFV)
310-691-8547 Ext 101(Los Angeles)
800-569-3568 Ext 101 (Toll Free)
818-276-1894 (Fax)
nick at TheTechConsultants.com<mailto:nick at TheTechConsultants.com>
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CCDB8C.E7350DE0]