[vlc] promotional materials for Software Freedom Day 2012?

Ivan Shmakov oneingray at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:18:27 CEST 2012

 >> It looks like VLC is one of the most common free software video and
 >> audio players out there.  (For instance, it comes 168'th in the
 >> Debian “global” Popularity Contest, apparently only after Totem at
 >> #60.)

 > And it is very popular on Windows and Mac

	Yes, I know.  (I've had to use W32 in display rooms while
	working as an instructor at the local university, and VLC has
	really saved the day.)

	Is there any statistics on that, BTW?

[…]

 >> I wonder, are there any “promotional materials” for VLC that we can
 >> use at the Software Freedom Day (September, 15, over most of the
 >> world) to introduce it to new users, and to spread thus the word of
 >> free software?  (Naturally, we're interested in materials that are
 >> free themselves.)

 > What kind of material are you thinking about?

	It can be flyers or posters (PDF), or it could be any videos —
	showing the history, highlighting the recent news, or explaining
	the goals of the project, or the motivation of the developers,
	or pretty much anything else related to the project, that can be
	interesting to the audience.

	As to our team, we can easily print a dozen of flyers to give to
	the participants of the event, or print a poster or two to put
	somewhere in the rooms the event will take place.  (And if there
	will be any videos, I'll make a call on the planning-ru@ mailing
	list to provide subtitles in Russian.)

	And thanks again!

--