[vlc] Rebinding media buttons

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Sat Jul 28 11:41:23 CEST 2012

I use VLC 2.0.1 on a Dell laptop which has some media control buttons on the
front panel.  These buttons such as Play, Pause, etc are recognized by VLC.
The >> button is bound to 'next', the same as the N key on the keyboard, and
<< is bound to 'previous'.  On the DVD I would like to play, these two actions
take you back to the main menu.

Instead I would like to bind these two buttons to 'select next DVD chapter' and
'select prev DVD chapter'.  In the VLC preferences, Hotkeys section, I found
these two actions and on each one double-clicked, pressed the corresponding
button, and then hit OK with the mouse.  The table now shows that these two
actions are bound to these buttons.

But when I play the movie and hit the >> button on the keyboard, it still goes
to the DVD menu (the same as N) instead of going to the next chapter (the
same as Shift-N).  Interestingly, the keybinding of Shift-N to 'next chapter'
still exists - I had expected that binding this action to a different key in the
preferences would remove the existing binding.

What must I do to successfully change the binding of the >> button so that it
performs 'next chapter' instead of 'next'?

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>