[vlc] streaming from screen:// to icecast fails

Daniel - Lumicall.org daniel at lumicall.org
Wed Sep 19 22:46:49 CEST 2012

I'm trying to stream from screen://   (my desktop) to an icecast2 server:

vlc screen:// :screen-fps=3.0 :live-caching=300 \
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=800,scale=1,acodec=vorb,ab=48,channels=2}:std{access=shout,mux=ogg,dst=source:defaultpw at thd015.trendhosting.net:8000/demo.ogg}
:sout-keep

icecast shows that the demo.ogg stream is connected

However, if I try to connect with a client, I see nothing

I figured out that changing the bitrate from 800 down to 256 makes it
work sometimes, even down to 128 sometimes seems necessary.  However, my
broadband connection has 1100kbit upstream bandwidth - does this seem
unusual?

When it does work, there is significant latency, 5-8 seconds.  The
encoding system is a HP workstation with 6-core Xeon CPU, I notice VLC
takes one core up to about 30%, so I don't believe it is a CPU
bottleneck.  Can anyone comment on the options I need to tweak for
streaming scenario I've described?