[vlc] VLC 2.1.2 crashes on play

vlcForumUser regid23 at nt1.pw
Sat Dec 21 19:37:06 CET 2013

Grizzly-4 wrote
> 12 December 2013  at 23:31, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Re: [vlc] VLC 2.1.2 crashes on play (at least in part)
>
>>On 12 Dec, Grizzly wrote :
>
>>> So is this the end of VLC (updates) on this PC then?
>
>>Well, we could debug it, maybe :)
>
>>Can you try a mp3 ?
>>Can you try a mp2v sample?
>
> I've gone back to 2.1.1 but could try 2.1.2 again (for your tests) don't
> think I have a mp2v, but do have mp3 & avi which both work !
>
> BUT mpg's & mp4's both crash, did try to "send data to team" (or words to
> that effect) but that gets a "FTP error ... thanks for your help"

I think I have the same issue.  On XP home edition, SP3.  I have downloaded
both bad 2.1.2 and working 2.1.1 from portableapps.com.  I think it
shouldn't make any difference because I am using portableapps.com for a long
time, and for many apps.  I also reverted back to portableapps.com's 2.1.1.
You suggested Jean-Baptiste Kempf to try some more formats.  I am not sure
what video format I use.  I mostly copy-paste youtube direct URLs to watch
videos.  Can you post specific links to URLs of different video formats so I
can try some?  How can I tell which format a random video is in?