[vlc] Transcoding only audio from DVD yields a dummy audio stream

Alan Tam siulung at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 22:35:03 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm sorry if this question is silly, but I did search around the web for hours without any clues.

I attempted to transcode the audio part of a DVD chapter using the following command:

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC \
	--play-and-exit -I dummy --no-sout-video \
	--sout "#transcode{acodec=mp4a,ab=256,channels=2}:std{access=file,mux=mp4,dst=test.m4a}" \
	"dvdsimple:///dev/disk2#2:1-2:1"

That yields a file playable in VLC but not in iTunes. After inspection using ffmpeg, I note the following:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'test.m4a':
 Duration: 00:08:59.6, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 238 kb/s
 Stream #0.0(eng): Audio: aac
 Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo

There are two audio streams in the output file, and perhaps iTunes wants to read from only the first stream.
I tried adding "--audio-track 0" to no avail.

Anything I've done wrong, or Is it a defect of my DVD TS?
Anything I can do to correct it except to use another software to remove the extra stream?

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Alan