[vlc] Connverter Help

Stephen Grant Brown sgbrown at southernphone.com.au
Wed Mar 27 23:05:22 CET 2013

Hi All,

I have lots of mp4 files with the following fomat

Stream 0
Type: Video
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Language: English
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame rate: 29.970029
Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV full scale
Stream 1
Type: Audio
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Language: English
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48000 Hz

I would like to reduce the video resolution to about 398 x 216 as my laptop cpu speed is too slow to play
at the currnet resolution.

I have tried using the graphical interfce of vlc but I cannot get it to produce a file playable by vlc.

I have looked at the documentation produced by "vlc -H" but have not been able to understand it.

What is a vlccommand line to reduce te video resolution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yours Sincerely

Stephen Grant Brown