[vlc] How to view DVDs (from an actual optical drive) on Android

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Mar 28 15:09:40 CET 2013

So, here I am, with my Android "smart TV", to which I have connected
a DVD reader.  The device is recognized by the kernel and appears as
/dev/block/sr0, but when I can't seem to figure out how to tell VLC to
use the thing.

IOW when I start VLC it just tells me "no media files found" (and
indeed, I don't have any videos or music on that machine other than the
one in the DVD drive).

I don't see any place where I can "open disk" (as there is on the
GNU/Linux version that I'm used to use), the closest is the button
that lets me "open network stream", and I tried to tell it to open
"dvd:/dev/block/sr0" or "file:///dev/block/sr0" but that just added
a "sr0" at the bottom of the screen saying "unknown artist", but if
I click on the "play" button, it still doesn't play the disk (it
basically doesn't do anything).

Any help?

        Stefan