[vlc] Fwd: libdvdcss page is confusing

Reuben Thomas rrt at sc3d.org
Sat Nov 23 20:13:50 CET 2013

Hi,

I recently directed a friend of mine who uses Ubuntu to this page:

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html

I guess now that Medibuntu has shut down, many people will be landing here.
Unfortunately, it's a bit confusing. There are several problems:

1. It doesn't actually tell you how to get libdvdcss as it claims. My
friend followed the instructions, and was then puzzled as to why DVD
playing still didn't work. Hence, I suggest you include the two extra
commands that are needed:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

2. The organisation of the page implies that checking out the source from
Git is part of getting libdvdcss. I suggest that you put all the text from

libdvdcss is available through Git <http://wiki.videolan.org/Git> or by
browsing the releases <http://www.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/>.

onwards under a separate top-level heading, such as "libdvdcss for
developers".

3. Tucked away at the bottom of the page under the heading "additional
information" is a link to a non-technical description of libdvdcss. This
should not be hidden away. I suggest you make the file's contents part of
the page, as it's a useful explanation of why users need libdvdcss. Why not
have it as a main section called "An explanation of libdvdcss", above the
"Changelog and Documentation" section?

Thanks for your work on libdvdcss. I was just reading about the original
DeCSS legal case today: it's amazing how long ago that was and yet we still
need this workaround.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org