[vlc] android, issue while subclassing surfaceview with libvlc

Benoît Rouits brouits at free.fr
Sat Sep 28 10:23:15 CEST 2013

Hello vlc people,

I am trying to use libvlcjni and the few LibVLC java classes on Android,
and i get some troubles on displaying a video. Eveyrthing goes okay
until libVLC tries to display a frame, then it sefaults.

Oh, and would like to know if libvlc lisence will allow me to release a
closed-source java application embedding it.

If someone is interested, the issue i encounter:

I am subclassing a SurfaceView in the same idea as Android's 4.x
VideoView class, embedding libvlc inside, instead of Android's
MediaPlayer. I have carefully read VLC's VideoPlayerActivity but i am
stuck with a libvlc segfault while trying to display frames. I guess i
am doing something in the wrong thread, but i'm getting a bit lost :-p
Here is the process:

- on surface creation, i initialize libVLC.

- libvlc inited, i open the media url if any.

- on surface changed, i attach libVLC to it with a small IVideoPlayer
implementation.

- on IVideoPlayer setSurfaceSize, i send a Message to the view,
forwarding params.

- when the view receives the message, it reset the size of the surfaceholder

Then, libvlc segfaults..

Beside, an EventHandler handles libVLC's events and notifes the
surfaceview state to the parent (activity),no problem here.first,

That said, i am pretty shure the segfault occurs because i of my bad.

If someone is interested in this SurfaceView subclass, i would be happy
to share the code on a repo for further usage.

With my thanks for your VLC port on Android,
- Ben