[vlc] IPTV + Closed Caption compatibility with VLC

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Mon Aug 4 19:57:41 CEST 2014

On 08/04/2014 11:58 AM, info at findthatfile.com wrote:
> Hello, I am trying out several IPTV channels and they do play on VLC,
> however none seem to show subtitles ... does VLC support subtitles on
> IPTV/RTP ?
> Ex: http://xrxs.net/video/live-p12moun-1164.m3u8, im not sure if it HAS
> closed caption.. I cant seem to locate ANY streams that do..
> Do IPTV streams with closed caption exist???
> Does VLC support?
>
> Thanks so much.

Yes, they do exist.

We run a commercial 300+ channel IPTV multicast-based service, and many
of our channels have CC.  It typically does need to be encoded as a data
stream, just as the audio and video do, and VLC does recognize those
AFAIK.  Normally, the encoder recognizes the CC and encodes it, using
either or both CEA-608 (Line 21 data, not typical) and CEA-708 (also
known as DTV or HD closed captions).

--
Alex