[vlc] PGS subtitles rendering double-sized, clipping.

George Spelvin linux at horizon.com
Sun May 18 16:34:32 CEST 2014

(I tried to post this on the web forums, but registration kept complaining
"The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", without any
indication of *what* was invalid and needed fixing.  And resubmitting
with minor changes (different e-mail, different password) about half a
dozen times didn't fix it.)

I have a few mkv files with PGS (i.e. bitmapped) subtitles that display
too large; regardless of attempts to modify the preferences, they extend
off the right-hand side of the screen and are partially clipped.

I just placed a brief (10s, 768k) example at
ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming/oversized_pgs_subtitles.mkv
(Use subtitle track 2)

If someone else wants some examples, take any full episode from
https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8433837/

(Episodes about 85 MB.  The 4 MB "Textless" credits have subtitle
streams but nothing in them.)

Problem identical on Linux VLC 2.1.4 (Debian i386) and Windows 32 2.1.3.
I'm thinking it's something with VLC, or at least a bug in the stream
common enough that VLC should have a workaround, because on XBMC (13.0),
and gmplayer, the subtitles look right.

(On totem, xine, banshee and kaffeine, the subtitles don't show up at
all, sigh.)

I suspect they're somehow getting rendered double-sized; half the
current size would look about right.

Thanks a lot for a fantastic program I use regularly.  I'm particularly
in love with the speed-change features; so many instructional videos
drag less at about 1.25x.)