[vlc] media 'slideshow': movies + pictures (fwd)

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri May 30 12:51:17 CEST 2014

jude <jdashiel at shellworld.net>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 15:13:58
From: Wim Bertels <wim.bertels at khleuven.be>
To: Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu at gmail.com>
Cc: debian-user at lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: media 'slideshow': movies + pictures

On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 15:22 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 28 mai 14, 21:57:32, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM, The Wanderer <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > > Stephen Allen said that Shotwell can do both, and Joe Zien said that
> > > Gwenview can as well. You might look at one of those.

Gwenview only works for for pictures.
Shotwell imports movies, but doenst play them in a slideshow

> > Also: I just ran VLC on a directoryful of jpgs, and it happily played
> > me a slideshow with ten seconds per frame. Mixing up media types seems
> > to work fine:
>
> [...]

$ vlc some_dir_with_pictures

doesnt work here:
version:: VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower

the error:
"main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `J440'. VLC
probably does not support this sound or video format. Unfortunately
there is no way for you to fix this."
[although i noticed vlc does accept some picture formats (eg JPEG image data, EXIF standard 2.2)]

$ file image.jpg:
JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01
was not accepted by vlc

Which version of vlc are u using?