[vlc] Smooth in mplayer, choppy in vlc

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:33:03 CET 2014

>>> You got libsamplerate, ffmpeg set? If it still doesnt work, try building
>>> with these USE flags --
>>>
>>> X a52 aalib alsa avcodec avformat cdda dbus dirac dts dvbpsi dvd encode
>>> ffmpeg flac kde libass libnotify libsamplerate matroska mmx mp3 mpeg
>>> musepack ogg opengl png postproc qt4 schroedinger sdl sdl-image sid skins
>>> speex sse svg swscale taglib theora truetype twolame udev v4l vaapi vcdx
>>> vorbis x264 xcb xml xv -altivec -atmo -audioqueue -avahi -bidi -bluray
>>> -cddb
>>> -chromaprint -dc1394 -debug -directfb -directx -dvb -dxva2 -egl -faad
>>> -fdk
>>> -fluidsynth -fontconfig -gcrypt -gme -gnome -gnutls -growl -httpd
>>> -ieee1394
>>> -ios-vout -jack -kate -libcaca -libtar -libtiger -linsys -lirc -live -lua
>>> -macosx -macosx-audio -macosx-dialog-provider -macosx-eyetv -macosx-qtkit
>>> -macosx-quartztext -macosx-vout -media-library -modplug -mtp -ncurses
>>> -neon
>>> -omxil -opencv -optimisememory -opus -projectm -pulseaudio -qt5 -rdp
>>> -rtsp
>>> -run-as-root -samba -sftp -shout -test -tremor -upnp -vdpau -vlm -vnc
>>> -wma-fixed -zvbi
>>>
>>> Just for testing.
>>

>> I switched to all of that except for kde and the result is the same.
>

> C(XX)FLAGS?

-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

> What's your version of VLC?

I've tried 2.1.2 and 9999 (latest from git).

> Anything you've done in a/52 preference in VLC (in all
> preferences>audio/video codec>a/52)?

I've tried with and without dynamic range compression and the internal
upmixer.  No other options there.

> Since when did this start to happen? What's you're version of
> media-libs/a52dec?

Previously, I didn't usually play videos on this system so it may have
been happening for a while.  It wasn't happening about a year or so
ago.  I've tried a52dec-0.7.4-r6 and 0.7.4-r7.

I just noticed that every time it stutters I get this in the console:

core input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR  is called too late
(pts_delay increased to 300 ms)
core input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called

- Grant