[vlc] Preserving Youtube Metadata?

Jiann-Ming Su su_js1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 06:41:32 CET 2014

How do I get vlc or cvlc to preserve the metadata correctly identified by lua?

Here's the command I'm running:

cvlc -vvv http://youtu.be/8GUIBNKnT1M --sout='#transcode{vcodec=none,acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=file,mux=mp3,dst='test4.mp3'}'

Here's part of the debug output:

[0x7f8bc8c0ac38] lua demux debug: Name: Low Carb Diet: Fat or Fiction?
[0x7f8bc8c0ac38] lua demux debug: Artist: ABCTVCatalyst
[0x7f8bc8c0ac38] lua demux debug: Description: Recent research suggests low carb diets could improve the lives of people suffering from obesity and diabetes. Dr Maryanne Demasi asks international advocate...
[0x7f8bc8c0ac38] lua demux debug: ArtURL: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8GUIBNKnT1M/hqdefault.jpg
[0x7f8bc8c0ac38] lua demux debug: meta-URL: http://youtu.be/8GUIBNKnT1M

So, obviously vlc is getting the metadata from youtube, but that information is not preserved in the output mp3 file.  Is there a commandline option I'm missing?  Thanks for any tips.