[vlc] drive in theater (synchronization audio-fm / video)

Edit B bouke at editb.nl
Sun Jan 11 13:31:50 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "jm" <jm.trivial at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2015 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: [vlc] drive in theater (synchronization audio-fm / video)

Hi

Thank you Doug for your answer

Le samedi 10 janvier 2015, 14:27:38 Doug a écrit :
> I think if you mean an on-site FM transmitter, you'll be fine, but if you
> mean you're going to send the audio to a regular broadcast station several
> miles (kilometers) away, and then have it broadcast back from there,
> you'll
> have a serious synchronization problem.
===
I totally disagree.
Concidering a FM signal travels with about the speed of light, there will be
absolutely NO sync problems due to the distance af the broadcasting.
(300.000 km / second. So 30 km will introduce 0.1 millisecond of delay. One
frame film is 42 Msecs.)

If you have a tremendous amount of equipment in the pipeline between input
and arial / antenna, that might introduce a delay.
Now that will be constant, and VLC can compensate for that (it's an easy
menu item)

If you have an internet connection, have a look at VLC's sync play, start
with command line --control netsync --netsync-master etc...
Or, get Syncplay (google syncplay vlc).
Have two copies of the movie (one could be sound only), the network will
keep 'm sync worry free.

hth,
Bouke

===
Yes, you're right, that is the configuration. My idea is to have the regular
FM
transmitter as master, and the video streaming driven as a slave using an FM
receiver to synchronize the video with regards to the audio...

--
jm - http://jmtrivial.info