[vlma-devel] Split data.xml into several files

Adrien MAGLO magsoft at via.ecp.fr
Fri Aug 8 11:07:53 CEST 2008

Le Thu, Aug 07, 2008, Adrien Grand écrivit :
> What I liked with the current system is that it is written on disk in a
> simple file, and that you just have to remove it from your disk to reset
> VLMa data, and you even can modify it by hand if you want. So a file
> based database (rather than a database that relies on a connection to a
> server like MySQL or PostgreSQL) could do the trick (even if
> modification by hand would be a little more tricky :p) and would be
> really more robust for all the features that we need and that
> serialization is maybe not made to:
>  - complex queries,
>  - only save the data that you need to save,
>  - etc.
>
> When I thought of it, I first thought to SQLite, but then I discovered
> Apache Derby (http://db.apache.org/derby) which is a database
> implemented entirely in Java (so that it could be fully embedded into
> VLMa). A tutorial explaining how to embed Derby in another application
> is described here:
>   http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/embedded_intro.html
>
> Adrien, Sylvain, any thoughts about that?

Sylvain told me the first time he explained me the way of VLMa
works is that thez decided during the program design to not save data
in a database because the deamon itself was the database.
Indeed, one of its function was to store the data as Java objects.
So, I understood that the deamon normally don't have to be halted.
Therefore serialization feature is not a major fonctionality but a
convenience.
( Sylvain, please correct me if I'm wrong. )

After that, this can be debated... We can probably improve this
convenience which may be more than a that.
But, like Sylvain, I don't think it's a prioroty.

--
MagSoft