Thread killer's case

Arnaud de Bossoreille de Ribou bozo at via.ecp.fr
Wed Sep 26 20:07:32 CEST 2001

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001, cvs at videolan.org wrote:
>   - Clean shutdown (no more thread suicides);

What about removing the thread killer ?

Here are my arguments:

The thread killer is used by a thread to commit suicide (it's been designed for
this purpose) but

  - if a thread wants to commit suicide it has to interrupt itself;
  - on shutdown there was two cases:
      * the caller was the telnet or the native administrator and it wanted
        to commit suicide _but_ it has some remaining job to do (stop the
        telnet if the caller was the native administrator) so we couldn't use
        the forced interruption and the server never stopped;
      * other caller => no problems.
  - at the time I'm talking to you there is no thread that want to commit
    suicide.

Conclusion: the thread killer is really an ugly invention, it really sucks and
it's not used any more so I want to completely remove it.

Any objection ?

--
Arnaud "bozo".