MPEG1 & VLS

Benoit Steiner benny at via.ecp.fr
Sat Jul 27 08:44:51 CEST 2002

You don't want to send PS over UDP/IP. This will work only if you have
an exceptionally good network. Many decoders are unable to deal
correctly with packet loss or packet reordering (since this is not
supposed to happen).

Moreover, you need to send a program table on a regular basis. I don't
think this is done today but could be very easily added to the PS->TS
conversion process. Converting the stream also give you the ability to
filter some parts of the stream (subtitles, weird sound tracks, etc...)
therefore decreasing the bandwith requirements. I agree the code is not
quite there, but that was part the original intent.

The VLS code has been written to deal with TS and is heavily optimized
to deal with fixed size timed packets. It would be really hard to change
that. It would probably be much simpler to fix your conversion problems.

Benoit