DVB-S streaming with videolan server

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Fri Mar 1 17:47:19 CET 2002

Christophe Massiot wrote:

> Apparently your network is dropping packet. If I were you, I would write
> the vls output to a file (via the file channel) and try to read that
> file with vlc --input ts. It will be easier to debug.

Christophe,

can you five an example of the file channel and how to start it?

Here is a part of my vls.cfg

# Streams sources declaration
BEGIN "Inputs"
# InputName     = "Type"
   local1        = "local"
   dvd1          = "local"
   live          = "local"
END

# Channel declaration
BEGIN "Channels"
# ChannelName   = "Type"
   localhost     = "network"
   recordtv      = "file"
END

# Inputs configuration
BEGIN "local1"
   ConfigPath    = "/usr/local/etc/videolan/vls/local"  # where to find
the "path/input.cfg"
                                         #config config file
END

BEGIN "dvd1"
    ConfigPath = "/usr/local/etc/videolan/vls/dvd"
END

BEGIN "live"
    ConfigPath = "/usr/local/etc/videolan/vls/live"
END

# Channels configuration
BEGIN "localhost"
   Interface     = "lo"          # Only supported under Linux to force
                                 # the interface through which the
                                 # stream will be broadcasted
   SrcHost       = "localhost"
   SrcPort       = "4321"
   DstHost       = "localhost"
   DstPort       = "1234"
END

BEGIN "recordtv"
   FileName = "recordtext.ts"
   Append = "NO"
   FileSize = "15M"
END

I tried to do telnet localhost 9999
bozo at vls> start Dolby_Egypt.mpeg recordtv dvd1

With the following result:

Provider: Manager
Error: -1

   Provider: dvd1
   Error: -1
   Info: Unable to start program Dolby_Egypt.mpeg
   Info: Error: unable to start streaming of program Dolby_Egypt.mpeg

Error: Unable to create thread
                   Error: PS to TS converter failed to start

Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199