DVB-S support for videolan

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Fri Mar 15 16:12:33 CET 2002

How is the current progress on DVB satelitte support for videolan server
going?

My setup WinTV Nova card and vls-0.3.1 Down here are the approaches I
take. My guess is that the project vls must have the same problems as I
have, so could we team up to tackle those problems together.

(1) Streaming directly from /dev/ost/dvr is a real disaster, with lots
of artefacts.
The problem here is that the DVB card is the clock master and not vls.
So vls should either buffer and send out at an approximate rate or
stream at exactly the same rate as the clock master.
The question is then does vls read fast enough from the device to not
miss out any packets. The following item seems to suggest just this.

(2) Streaming from a disk buffer (file). Reading from /dev/ost/dvr and
storing it to disk, prior to streaming with vls works a lot better. The
problem that resides is stream out on the network at a correct clock rate.

Can somebody of the vls project help us with this?

Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199