Future of VLS

Arnaud de Bossoreille de Ribou bozo at via.ecp.fr
Tue Mar 26 15:14:13 CET 2002

Hi,

let's talk about the future, there are so many things to do in VLS :-).

I think the two most important things are:

  1/ rewrite the way how the different parts of VLS are talking
     together;
  2/ rewrite the program management which is really ugly.

They are really important since it locks a lot of alternate development
such as a graphical interface or the ability of an input to update its
program list. The two points are a little bit linked so I think they
should be taken together.

The problem is that I probably won't have enough time in the next months
to write anything in VLS since I want to focus on "libdvbpsi".

Nevertheless I know a lot of important points that must be taken into
account before rewriting anything. I think the best to do is to gather
a team of good developers (since it's close to be a guru task) and then
list all the problems of the current implementation and at last write
the code. I insist on the fact that I can't lead this development. I
just can give my knowledge about VLS and I will.

So a Team leader and probably one more developer are needed. It would be
great if one or more were interested in such a development. If you are
then send an e-mail to the vls-devel list.

--
Arnaud de Bossoreille de Ribou - http://www.via.ecp.fr/~bozo/